One of the best compliments I’ve ever received referred to my sense of style. Being complimented on the sense of style in a way means that you’ve cracked a secret code to dressing yourself in a flattering way. It also means that you’ve discovered what works for you and doesn’t as well as learned how to mix and match different items and colors in an outfit. Well, I have grandiose plans for discussing colors here on my blog, but for now I’d like to make a quick list of items that work beautifully on literally anyone and take any outfit to another level of ‘stylish’ and ‘chic’. Let’s begin!
As always, right to the point:
1.Boat neck lines. Over the decades boat neckline has acquired a strange reputation of being an element of a wardrobe of stylish yet stiff lady, old-fashioned in a negative sense of the word. It’s actually a shame because, in my opinion, boat neckline tops and dresses are some of the most flattering! The line that boat beck tops and dresses have is crisp and chic, but it also reveals the collar bones and neck, which makes this type of cut one of the sexiest in a charming and elegant way:
Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn loved them for a good reason, no doubt about it. They also come in a variety of shapes, so there’s plenty to choose from.
2. Turtlenecks. This one works for both men and women. Turtlenecks are comfortable, versatile, warm, and chic, especially if they are made of solid color thin smooth knit fabric. You can experiment with different height and thickness of the collar to suit your particular style and liking:
3.Chelsea boots. I’ve started wearing chelsea boots relatively recently and darn it! It struck me that I’ve missed out on an awesome shoe style – comfortable, chic, and very elegant. And when it comes to versatility, there aren’t many shoe styles that can really hold a candle to the magnificent chelsea boot! Chelsea boots can be matched with a vast variety of outfits, dressed up and down. Despite that chelsea boots typically don’t have a high heel, they can look very chic and dressy if they have an almond, pointed, or tapered rounded toe shape – these toe shapes look very sophisticated.
4. Solid color skinny jeans with matching dark/dark brown stitching. Jeans were initially created in the 18th century to be worn by workers due to their high durability, but have quickly won their place in fashion. Today it’s almost impossible to imagine anyone’s wardrobe without a pair, but it’s a piece that’s difficult to dress up. The elements that scream ‘casual wear’ about jeans include rips, appliqué, faded color, and white/visible stitching. The kinds of jeans that are quite easy to dress up are solid color jeans with matching dark or dark brown stitching:
5. Scarves. In winter they aren’t only an accessory – they keep us warm. In warmer seasons, adding a scarf to an outfit takes it to another level of ‘class’! I’ve already mentioned scarf in the post about how to look expensive on a budget, but the point here is that the scarf doesn’t need to be expensive real silk scarf from Hermes or whatever – the point is taking that extra step to add a finishing touch to your outfit that’ll make it look chic.
6. Hair accessories. Praha headbands came and (sort of) went, but wearing hair jewelry should definitely be in your list of tricks to elevate your outfits. It can be a nice hair tie,a hair clip, or a small scarf secured on your ponytail – anything you feel like adding to your look. It’s an especially great trick for those who don’t wear jewelry that much and an excellent way to show your sense of style, because hair is always a cherry on top.
7. Hats. I mean absolutely all kinds of hats – fedoras, berets, knitted hats, and straw hats. A nice fitting hat is like an additional 10 points on top of the already beautiful outfit you’ve built – it’s not a necessity, but a lovely bonus that never hurts!
8. Pointy or almond toe shoes. I know that tapered toe shoes can be extremely uncomfortable, which is why it goes without saying that such shoes are worth the investment only if they don’t hurt your feet! Health and comfort are always above style and fashion. At the same time, tapered toe shoes can be equally comfortable as regular round toe shoes – it’s just a question of what suits your foot shape. Overall, there’s something so chic about the tapered toe that makes them worth the search!
9. Pants that fit you perfectly. No-brainer with this item: a pair of well-fitting pants is something that has to be in everyone’s wardrobe because it’s got unimited outfit building options. A pair of pants in a neutral color, such as black, navy, or grey, can be easily dressed up and down just by adding the right top and shoes. The perfect pair of pants doesn’t have to be expensive – the main requirement are the fit and the fabric. The fabric should make them comfortable enough for you and ensure perfect fit (hug your hips if you need it, not stretch out on the knees and hips until then next wash, etc)
Your perfect everyday pants should suit your style and features, they can be straight or tapered at the bottom, have pockets or no pockets. This is the kind of item you can experiment with – it can be solid color or have a pattern. Items that fit you well automatically look chic and expensive.
10. Watches, statement jewelry & accessories. By all means, we don’t need watches to check the time during the day anymore – we have phones for that. However, watch remains a very classy accessory. I don’t mean huge watches here, but elegant ones that’ll almost serve a purpose of a bracelet, but much more chic. For statement jewelry I don’t mean huge eye-catching pieces, but items that resonate with your own sense of style – your style statement. It can be anything – bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and rings. Sometimes a pair of interesting earrings can completely transform the whole look!
In my opinion, one of the simplest items to elevate any look is sunglasses. It’s a functional and essential item that also serves a style purpose, so killing two birds with one stone here!
What are your favorite items that pull the outfits together and add that something extra that reflects your sense of style? As always, I’m looking forward to your comments!
P.S. If you’d like to get notified every time I post, subscribe to my blog below. The quality of my content is very important to me and the only way I’ll develop this blog is by contantly improving it. I sincerely appreciate every subscriber and invite you to embark an a creative journey! No spam guarantee – only notifications about my new posts.